Africa is Calling, and I Must Go

After my successful trip to Alaska during the pandemic last September, I was itching to go overseas again. Alaska was my "trial" to see how traveling during covid was. The trip went smooth, and I felt comfortable traveling. I still have postponed trips planned for later in the year, but when I heard about the opportunity to travel on a workshop with the same photo instructor as my Alaska trip, I jumped at the chance. It's no surprise that I'm going back to Africa, again. I leave tomorrow! The continent is by far my favorite... the wildlife and the people keep luring me back even though I keep saying, "this is my last trip to Africa; there are other places I want to see in the US now". 



Some of you might remember my 2019 trip in which I accomplished the unimaginable: gorilla trekking in Rwanda. 







With my altitude sickness taking effect at less than 7,000 feet on average (and really less than that while I'm hiking), gorilla trekking was simply something I never thought I'd be able to do in my lifetime and definitely something I never thought I'd do again. But here we are... I'm headed to Uganda (it will be my first time!) to go gorilla trekking and chimp trekking (or "chimping" as it was affectionately called in Tanzania's Gombe Stream when I spent time where Jane Goodall studied the chimpanzees back in 2014). After Uganda, it's off to Kenya (which I haven't visited since my first trip to Africa in 2006) for a more traditional safari experience at Lewa. 



Travel is by no doubt different now than it was pre-covid. There are regulations to consider and routine testing to be done. Regulations change quickly and can be hard to keep up with. I actually got covid in early February and was so freaked out about potentially testing positive on a PCR even one month later (like some people do) because you need negative PCR tests to enter Uganda and Kenya. Thankfully, my PCR came back negative so we are in the clear there. I took a routine test 72 hours before departure for Uganda (it came back negative!), and I'm officially ready to go. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little nervous about wearing a mask for so many hours in the time it takes me to get to Uganda (10 hours 25 minutes to get to Amsterdam, 50 minute layover, then 10 hours 30 minutes to get to Uganda plus all the transit time at the airports) but at this point, I need the vacation. I need more of Africa in my soul. I need the sounds of Africa waking up, the earthy smells, and the drums beating in my chest as locals gather around to sing. I need Africa. 



As always, wifi in Africa can be spotty but I'll be keeping a detailed account of my experiences in Uganda and Kenya and uploading blogs with photos when I can! Stay tuned for more, and follow along with my Instagram @elissatitle for more pics. Africa, I'm coming! 

Comments

Popular Posts