Gardens and Pizza

Today was an adventure! In the morning, my museology class headed over to the Palazzo Pitti for a field trip. The Palazzo Pitti has many museums, but we only went to the Museo degli Argenti.




We mainly discussed how and why the pieces got to that museum, as well as what the purpose of the collection is. That may sound boring, but some of the information was pretty interesting. We looked at a lot of cabinets, as we were learning about Wunderkammer yesterday during class. Basically, it's a way of storing "objects of the universe", as our professor says. So, everything. Things that wouldn't typically go together, perhaps animal sculptures with something more high end like stones. And of course, a Wunderkammer isn't complete without a mermaid (again, according to our professor). 


After our field trip, it was only 11am (I get out early on Fridays!!) so I decided to go to the ceramics studio to work on my rhino head. I went into the studio in the early evening too, and here was the piece by the end of the day. I still have work to do, but for whipping this up in a day and a half, I would say I'm doing pretty well! 




In the afternoon, my friend Hollace and I decided to go get pizza at this college-y restaurant called Gusta Pizza, which is across the Arno. The pizza here keeps getting better and better... (it's also much cheaper on the other side of the river because it isn't as touristy). After lunch, we cut across a side street to go to the Boboli Gardens. We weren't expecting to do so much walking, but every single path looked like the one below... Almost vertical!




The gardens will probably be even more beautiful in the spring, but it was nice because there weren't any tourists and the view of Florence was beautiful (though not nearly as nice as the Piazzale Michelangelo!)




We also stumbled upon this little gem in the garden.. It almost looked like an abandoned lighthouse! We still have no idea what it is, but it was a good photo op! :)  



And of course, I had to take a picture of the Arno during our walk... 





Ciao for now!

Comments

Popular Posts