Visiting the Uffizi

Today was my field trip to the Uffizi (finally!) with my museology class. I knew it was going to be amazing, but it exceeded my expectations. I had taken Art of the Renaissance at AU last year, and so I recognized a lot of the paintings on display. What I didn't expect, however, was to remember everything we talked about in class (I wasn't a fan of my professor's teaching style). So not only did I feel good about seeing these paintings in person, but also for remembering the analysis of each one. Some of my favorites from the ones I saw in person that I studied in Art of the Renaissance were...

Portraits of the Duke and Duchess of Urbino by Piero della Francesca, which I recognized from the back panel (not pictured) which made me feel even better.




The Birth of Venus by Sandro Botticelli 





Annunciation by Leonardo Da Vinci. This was especially interesting to me because if you stood at the far corner of the small gallery room, the picture looked completely different. When you look at it straight on, it looks distorted as far as spacing and anatomy. When you view it from the corner, however, it looks normal. Our professor then proceeded to tell us that the curator of the Uffizi recently discovered that for whatever reason, this painting was intended to be seen from a far corner.




This was one of the main hallways of the Uffizi.




From the top floor, we had an amazing view of the Arno, the Ponte Vecchio....




 ... And the hills of Tuscany.


I think the Uffizi is my favorite museum in Florence so far, so I'm very happy that our museology professor is making us go back as a homework assignment! 

Happy Friday the 13th and as always...

Ciao for now!

Comments

Popular Posts