Freshman Seminar in Rome Day 3

This morning was one of the most hectic days of my entire life. All 22 of us crammed onto an Italian bus that was already standing room only.. I don't even know how we did it!! I'm sure you're thinking "how bad can it be?" Well, imagine a super crowded bus then multiply that by at least 20. 

ANYWAYS, today was the first day of our Art History class and it was so great! The class is set up so that we meet at the university and then go out into the city for hands on learning! Today we went to the Aqua Paola, an aqueduct that revitalized the city of Rome. It also served as a boundary between Rome and the Estruscan city-states. From there we went to Church of San Pietro where we learned about how geometrical and numerical terms are used to analyze architecture. We also went to the Mausoleo Ossario Garibaldino where we explored in groups and were given an assignment. Our assignment was to list classical elements and their significance to the Italian culture. For example, my group noticed that Romulus, Remus and the she-wolf that nursed them was carved into spoglia, marble that is reused.




After class, we had over 4 hours of free time and walked waaaaay over 7 miles! My friends and I went to the Campo de'Fuori, the Tiber River, and from there, we walked all the way to the Vatican. At the Vatican, we walked around for awhile before heading off for gelato to cool us down.


We then walked way back to the tram stop (and we didn't get lost like many other kids who go out by themselves do!) And as the saying goes... When in Rome, do as the Romans do! So when I saw a fountain of water from the aqueduct, I had to fill up my water the Italian way! 


For dinner we went to a small local Italian place. The food was fantastic but the meal itself took over 4 hours. So far, that is the only thing I don't like about the Italian culture! It is now 12:20am and I have to be ready for class by 8:30am so...

Ciao for now!

Comments

Popular Posts