Plaster Molds

Today was another day spent on our plaster pieces in sculpture. First, we had to dig all the clay out from the 2 plaster molds we had made last class. 



Then, we soaked our pieces in freezing cold water, and scrubbed excess clay off with a toothbrush. 




From there, we had to apply dish soap so the new layer of plaster wouldn't stick to the plaster mold we had created last class. Then we had to mix a thick layer of plaster, and pour it into our molds which was a whole other process.... Basically, we had to pour a thin layer, swish it around the mold, and pour it back out. Then, we added more plaster, and hit our piece on the table to get air bubbles out. From there? More plaster. Then hemp, then more plaster, then a hook, then even more plaster. Oh boy! We ran out of time to actually break the mold, but hopefully I'll have a picture of my finished piece by Monday! 

After class, I went to work in the ceramic studio for a bit, as my rhino is still undergoing surgery. When I got home, my roommate had to go to the pharmacy and I had to try to find a cardboard box to use for ceramics (which I couldn't find anywhere... and I need it by tomorrow. Yikes). The pharmacy was near the Mercato Centrale, aka my favorite hang out place, so we ended up having dinner there. This is part of the upstairs part, which consists of places to eat, bars, a cooking school, and a place to buy cheeses and meats. 


Tomorrow I have to work on a second ceramics project which I got behind on when I started my rhino head.. PLUS I have to start the third project that the entire class is starting tomorrow. I think this week/weekend will be another one spent at the studio... But at least then I'll be caught up. 

Ciao for now! 

Comments

Popular Posts