My Life on a Box

Today I went on a wild goose chase. Why? To find a cardboard box for ceramics. Although apparently, everything on the street gets picked up by 10am (which our teacher failed to tell us)... But I ended up finding one at SACI, so it turned out okay. So why did I need a box for ceramics? We are making coil pots now and we use the negative of our sketch to measure our piece. Paper is too thin, so we had to cut out the shape of our vase in cardboard. This is the third project we are working on, and I have yet to complete the first and second since I added the class so late into the semester.

My rhino is still undergoing surgery, and my decorative box is all set up but needs to be decorated. I'm really excited to do that though, because I had a great idea. Since I am doing a hexagonal box and I have been to every continent, I decided that the lid would represent where I'm from and each of the sides would have an animal from every continent. I started sketching my idea out and these are 3 of the animals I've chosen so far. It's basically my life on a box!



The dolphin represents Australia/New Zealand from when we had a whole pod of dolphins following our boat, the sea lion represents South America (Galapagos Islands) from when a baby sea lion came right up to me, and the whale represents Antarctica from when a minke whale was within arm's reach from our zodiac. The other animals I have chosen are a monkey for Africa (Tanzania) from when a monkey jumped into the roof of our safari car, an elephant for Thailand from when we went to a mahout camp to ride and paint with elephants, and a horse for Europe (Italy) for when I will go horseback riding here! 

I have to wake up super early to go on a field trip to the Palazzo Pitti tomorrow and then I have to go to the studio to work on this (plus do more sketching) so...

Ciao for now! 

Comments

Popular Posts